Friday, December 6, 2013

Canada Reads 2014: Annabel

After my last post on The Orenda, Jian Ghomeshi announced the Canada Reads 2014 contenders on the Q.  Not surprisingly, The Orenda is one of them.  This year's theme is a book that will change the nation.  Of course being the bookworm that I am, I rushed out to by the other books right away.

I started Annabel by Kathleen Winter on Wednesday evening and finished by noon yesterday.  What a great read, I was absorbed into the story from page one!  While I'm not sure I feel that the book will change our nation particularly (I do welcome your comments on this!), it will effect anyone who reads it.  

Annabel will make you question your perception of identity and how we perceive that of others, as well as how cruel society can be about these identities.  

Has anyone read other books that tackle social norms and identity?

No comments:

Post a Comment