Friday, March 1, 2013

On re-reading

Excess of it.

Do you read novels and discard them?  Or do you re-read?

Among other books, I am currently re-reading The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson.  The perfect book for an artist.  How many times have I read it?  Probably at least ten.

The appeal for me comes from the many aspects that are interwoven in the story.  The main character is a scarred individual, in more ways than one.  His upbringing was turbulent and without other skills, he was soon an actor in adult films.  He was smart however, and soon directed, until he was in a car accident which burned him, leaving him physically scarred and missing some key elements necessary for his previous acting career.

His accident and medical journey following are documented throughout the book.  While hard to read at times, I like this aspect of the book, as I come from a medical family and can become very involved in hospital talk.

In his twist of fate, he meets a psych patient, who is an artist.  She carves gargoyles and does so in a definite manic state, without eating, other than coffee, literally from the tin.  He turns to his other love of learning and consumes as much information about her mental state as he can.  During their time together, she recounts their history, which she claims took place in medieval Germany.  The story is beautifully interlaced and seamless in its ending.  It is the only real story of love that I have read, that is not physically explicit, but rather mentally and artistically.

When I like books, I love them.  I cannot tell you how many favourite novels I have read and re-read when the mood strikes me.  Like music, there is a time and place for every piece and I can pick the perfect book off the shelf for any occasion.

What novels have you been unable to put down time after time?

7 comments:

  1. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelo...I've re-read many a times. "When I like books, I love them." WORD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome book! another re-read of mine!:)

      Delete
  2. DISCARD a book? GASP - NEVER!!! Tall Guy will attest - I've moved boxes of books from Canada to Spain, back to Canada, back to Spain, to Germany, to England, and, surprise, back to Spain. I can't give them up, they are part of me. And I love rereading. I reread Chocolat every March. And Three Sisters (a play, but it counts!) every summer. I reread if I can't find anything in the (second-hand) bookshop that I haven't already read. I reread if I'm tired but I feel like reading. I only DO NOT reread Lurlene McDaniel. Remember? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I reread a lot of books, the ones I've gone back to the most are the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. They are children's books, and I first read them as a child, but they have an enduring story quality to them and are also very nostalgic and comforting to read as an adult. I also have read "A Prayer for Owen Meany" several times and each time it makes me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely have a few books like that in my library. I love rereading books. The horse whisperer by Nicholas Evan is one of them, but I also have a few books in French that I seem to need to read almost every year!

    ReplyDelete