Saturday, January 18, 2014

A Documentary: Mount Ephrem-Martial Arts Pioneer in Ethiopia

My partner Garmamie's documentary has been nominated as one of the top 10 in the Afrinolli Short Film Competition.  The winner will be decided by voting, so please vote before Monday if you have the chance and check out the short documentary at the link posted below.

Here is a little interview with Garmamie about his documentary.  We look forward to hearing your comments about the film!

1. What inspired you to be a documentary filmmaker?

Storytelling, regardless of the medium is an interest of mine. Be it a written and/or a performed poem, a
presentation or a documentary film, stories present themselves everywhere. Although I was always interested in fictional films... over the years and through various experiences I've realized the value in capturing reality. The best stories I've ever heard where real ones lived by everyday people who have never shared their journey and tales.

2. "The [Afrinolli Short Film] Competition is designed to expand the conversations on issues about the African continent by Africans". What does this topic mean to you and how did it motivate you for your documentary?

The African continent, much like any continent, is filled with a diversity of stories. My documentary is dealing with the topic of an individual's quest to find (and maintain) inner balance with himself, his past and present through the philosophy of Jeet Kun Do (a martial art). The context of his challenging journey is riddled with a variety of challenges and his story is particularly untold and unique to the story of martial arts in Ethiopia and Africa as a whole. What motivated me for this documentary was this individual passion for his way of life thought martial arts and his willingness to share his story.

3. Tell us about Ephrem. How did you meet him and what made you decide to base the documentary on him?

I was in Ethiopia in the fall of 2012 filming a long form documentary on martial arts (this long form documentary is still in production). While I was in Addis Ababa (the capital of Ethiopia), I got to meet various current and former key players and local legends of the martial arts community in East Africa. I met Ephrem through that network. I had heard of him through other key members of the international jiujitsu community and they strongly recommend I speak with him. Ephrem was very open to the documentary process, which made my job very easy and enjoyable. His passion and dedication is impressive.


4. What was the editing process like? Did you have anyone to give you feedback and support?

It's all in the process, an editing process. This is where the story is made and put together. Lucky for me, I had plenty of contructive feedback and support from Nicole, my girlfriend.


5. What message are you hoping that viewers will take away from this documentary?

There are many messages, but one in particular is to follow your passion, respect and honour it, for it is a reflection of your life and it will keep you balanced, focused and ready for any obstacle. Ephrem is a true martial artist and his story sheds light on how martial arts provide the discipline and focus an individual needs to find everyday balance.

Please vote for Garmamie's documentary Mount Ephrem-Martial Arts Pioneer in Ethiopia at:
http://afrinollyshortfilmcompetition.com/documentaryvote.php

The deadline is Monday!

Please vote for Garmamie's documentary Mount Ephrem-Martial Arts Pioneer in Ethiopia at:
http://afrinollyshortfilmcompetition.com/documentaryvote.php

The deadline is Monday!

3 comments:

  1. "over the years and through various experiences I've realized the value in capturing reality"

    I really like that! Great interview, Nicole, and lots of luck, Garmamie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the interview and it makes me want to see Garmamie's film (sorry, I am too late to vote!). Where can I find it now that the contest is over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can view the documentary at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqelDGdOM5c
    Thanks!:)

    ReplyDelete