Sunday, December 16, 2012

People Help the People

When I was studying translation, being current on news was a must for terminology and phrasing.  I hate to admit that lately I have not been as informed as I once was.  However, during my time at the gym this week I have (perhaps unfortunately), seen what has been going on.

More shooting.  Why?  Thanks to my sister for posting the great article http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2012/12/15/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother

I think that mental and emotional difficulties are often overlooked in our busy society.  All too frequently, people that we know are quietly suffering either first hand, or helping someone close to them.

Music has always been a great help to me.  Either listening or playing, it is an amazing outlet.  There is nothing better than a song that you either create or cover in times of emotion.  In hard times, I have listened to and played pieces repeatedly, just to get the feelings out.

When I teach, I like to have a social aspect to lessons.  While I feel that instruction should be focused, I can't help but become attached to my students and genuinely care about them.  Especially for pre-teen and teenaged students, it is important for them to have someone safe to turn to.  I hope to be this person for some of my students.

The recent events do nothing but increase my interest in Music Therapy.  It is a path that I am strongly considering for the future.

A good song for this week: People Help the People, covered by Birdy.  Let me know if you enjoy it.

Has music helped you? Please let everyone know how by posting a comment!

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Nicole. Music helped me fight depression when my mom was dying of cancer... and I turn to it in all the low and high points of my life.

    I think you'd make a great music therapist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that article was very good.
    Glad you blogged about this this week. Mental health care and awareness is definitely something that needs to be improved.
    Music therapy would be a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete